Events > APPG Inaugural AGM
Neil Carmichael MP was elected the Chair of the newly formed All Party Parliamentary Group on Vascular Disease at the inaugural AGM on 11th December 2011. Sir Peter Bottomley MP and Chi Onwurah MP were elected as Vice Chairs of the Group.
After growing interest over the past 12 months on vascular disease among parliamentarians there was an appetite to establish an APPG on Vascular Disease. At the meeting clinicians, patients and industry came together to discuss how a Group would operate, a work programme for the next 12 months and how to raise awareness of the Group at Westminster and Whitehall.
During the discussion about the Group, some of the priorities that were mooted included:
- Increase awareness of vascular disease in general including a parliamentary reception
- Geographical disparities in patient outcomes including access to the latest technologies and therapies
- The National Outcomes Framework and how that might improve outcomes for patients with vascular disease
- New risk factors for the AAA screening programme and for vascular disease in general – such as diabetes, obesity and smoking
- Potential for collaboration with other APPGs